TAGS is a forum for entrepreneurs in the Northwest to seek early stage funding. Even though TAGS will consider direct submissions from entrepreneurs, we encourage entrepreneurs to seek a TiE Charter Member to sponsor them. Sponsored applications will be placed on a "fact track" and will have a shorter review and due diligence cycle.
TAGS expects to primarily evaluate investment opportunities in seed and Series A rounds. Focus areas include Software/Infrastructure, Internet, Mobility, Clean Tech, Healthcare, Education & eLearning, and Medical Devices/Technologies. However, we will accept applications from entrepreneurs in other domains as well.
Our goal is to provide entrepreneurs a supportive environment throughout their interaction with TAGS. TiE Seattle will also be a valuable resource for entrepreneurs through a variety of mentorship and training programs.
TAGS does not sign non disclosure agreements (NDAs.) Entrepreneurs should only submit and present materials they are willing to share with the TAGS Steering Committee, members, and other invited domain experts as they review the application and do their due diligence.
TAGS would be looking for companies that have a solid idea, an established team, proven domain expertise, and clear business models. Having a proof of concept, a prototype, value proposition, competitive advantage, and market validation would make the case much stronger. Entrepreneurs still working on an idea and looking for assistance to develop a business plan should look at the Mentoring program from TiE Seattle.
Here are some suggestions to prepare for your presentation and Q&A session:
- The Elevator Pitch - Be able to explain your business in 1 line and/or in less than a minute.
- Business Case - Why are you doing this? What are you solving by doing this?
- Business Idea - What are you doing? Clear and concise description of the product, service and/or solution you are developing.
- Market and Market Sizing - What is the target industry and who are your customers? How big is the market?
- Unique Value Proposition - How are you different?
- IP and Barrier to Entry - What will make David succeed against the Goliaths of the world?
- Competitive Landscape - Who are you competing against? Again, why will you win?
- Strengths and Weaknesses - How have you or do you plan to address these? Do you seek external assistance; if so what and why?
- Milestones - Do you have a timeline? Have you identified your deliverables and milestones?
- Strategies - What are your Marketing, Sales, Product Development, Funding, Financial plans and projections?
- Team - Who are the founders and employees? In-house, consultants, outsourced, etc.?
- Why - The key question; why should we invest in your company?
- Investment Details - Capital structure, valuation, funds required and how will they be used, terms of investment. What is the expected return on investment?
- Exit Strategy - Merger, acquisition, IPO or something else? When and how will investors make money?
You will have 20 minutes for the presentation & demos, if you have, and 10 minutes for Q&A. A lot to cover in 30 minutes. So Practice and come prepared to impress! Good Luck!
- Apply - Interested companies should initiate the process by completing the online submission form or sending an email with supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. At the very least, companies should submit a One Pager or an Executive Summary. They are encouraged but not required to to submit additional documents such as the Business Plan, Financials or other documents they think would strengthen their application.
- Pre-Screening - Applications will be pre screened to make sure that they meet the minimum bar and will be reviewed by the TAGS Steering Committee and domain experts. About 10 companies will be short listed for further review based on their recommendations.
- Screening - Short listed companies may be invited for a 20 minute presentation followed by a 10 minute Q&A session with the Steering Committee and domain experts invited by the Steering Committee to further review the application. About 3-4 companies will be sort listed to proceed further.
- Presentation - Short listed companies will be invited for a 20 minute presentation followed by a 10 minute Q&A session to the TAGS membership and invited guests.
- Due Diligence - At this point, interested members will get together and discuss the deal among themselves and perform any due diligence they need. They may approach the company separately with further questions and/or details.
- Deal Conclusion - Interested members will individually make their decisions about the investment amount and involvement they would like to have with the company. Further discussions and negotiations would be carried out between the company and this group of interested members.
We will have our pitch sessions approximately every 8 weeks. We will continue to review your applications on a rolling basis. Please visit the Events page for the latest information.
Subsequent to the pitches, interested members may further conduct their own due diligence as they deem appropriate, negotiate investment terms directly with companies they decide to invest in. Members independently and individually decide their level of investment. Members also like to actively participate and may further offer to assist companies as an Advisor or a Board member.
On conclusion of an investment from TAGS, we hope that companies provide some level of sponsorship to TAGS and TiE Seattle, and show their support.
Apply for Funding Today
Please complete the online submission form to be considered by TAGS. We may contact you for additional information at any stage of the process. It may take up to 8 weeks for the Screening Committee to review your application and get back to you.
Please contact Haresh Ved for more information.